Friday, July 28, 2006

Current Thoughts on Pastors and Bible College/Training

I don't know why I have been thinking about this lately, but I am amazed how many pastors have absolutely no biblical training whatsoever. I am probably thinking about it because I can't wait to start my Masters and hopefully I will in the winter of 2007, hopefully. I am either going to do a Masters of Theology or maybe a Master's in something like CE, or something other than an MDiv. I have always wanted to do one in Communication but I go back and forth.

But, it just amazes me how many pastors/youth pastors I know without any ministry training or biblical training. I went to bible college and majored in Youth Ministry and it has been incredibly valuable to my last 11 years in ministry. But sometimes, I struggle with folks who don't think any kind of ministry training or biblical study is important. They say things like..."Well, I don't want mess up my thinking and bible college will do that". I don't know, I guess if I went to my doctor and he said that he had a business degree, I guess I would leave pretty quick. I know that is a very simplistic answer, but I don't understand why they wouldn't want at least some kind of training. I hated taking Greek, but now I am glad I did. I didn't want to take all those youth ministry classes but they have been extremely valuable to me. So, I don't know why I struggle with it. I had somebody tell me once that there isn't anything in higher learning that they couldn't teach themselves from some book. I highly disagree.

So, do I think it's absolutely nescessary for a pastor to have some kind of bible college/seminary. No, I guess I don't. But, for some reason I have a whole more respect and admiration for folks who have worked their tales off getting the education.

I know these thoughts are incomplete, but I have been thinking about this a lot. One of life goals is to complete a masters and I have been doing a lot of wrestling as of late if it is the best choice for me and family. We have decided it is, now I just have to figure what school and what degree and oh yeah, how to pay for it and how to do homework with three small kids. Little things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I totally want to go back to school...like you I want to go on to Masters in something. I think what stops most youth pastors is two things;

1. time

2. $$$

Something every youth pastor has little of.


If you know anywhere I can get either let me know!

Unknown said...

i'm a big believer that every youth pastor should have a degree in computer science, like me. interestingly enough, if you look at the yp's at velocity, you'll see degrees in history, philosophy, computer science.. not a lot of youth ministry or "bible" degrees.